Jumping On, Finding Focus

Do you remember when you were a kid and raced to the merry-go-round at recess? That was my favorite recess past time. Running as fast as my little legs would go, dirt kicking up behind me, sweaty hands griping the rails and then…….

J U M P!

Jumping onto the platform to ride surfer style. As I rode until it came to a slow stop, my eyes continued to spin. I knew I needed to step down and find my balance so I could start again. I would continue this until a rut was worn into the ground from all of my running.

Isn’t this how we can live our lives?

We are running hard after a goal, we jump on to ride just a bit and the next thing we know the world is spinning and it seems impossible to see the path we need to continue on. It is easy to get stuck running around and around and then jumping back on. That’s where I’ve found myself, running, digging myself into a rut and losing focus.

Losing focus on my calling.

Losing focus on my dream.

Losing focus on what God says is for now.

Look to him | Me, Coffee & Jesus

The rut starts innocent until it gets harder to jump out of and up onto the platform. My platform that is for the now is my family, bible study both personal and with friends, and my little blog. We see our now as a rut, God sees our now as practice and obedience. I see running and jumping as tiresome and unnecessary, God sees it as endurance and being faithful to what he has given me.

I have been unfaithful and disobedient because I viewed life as a rut instead of the beauty that God has blessed me with. I have been impatient and less than nurturing with my kids. I have been absent from more days of bible study than I care to admit to you (but God knows :/ ) I have been intentionally silent here on the blog and all of my social media.

I must break the lie of: “life is a rut” that I’ve allowed myself to believe. I have to trust the growth process. I have to trust that God has made it clear to me more than once (more than twice) in the last 4 years that my focus and job is raising children and studying his word. It is so so easy to think I’m ready to jump and miss the step of tying your shoe only to fall flat on your face. I talked last in my vlog post about applying for a ministry position, sure I was going to get it only to be told no. While no is hard and a little part of me is still pouting about it, I know that God kept me from tripping over my shoelaces and has lessons for me to learn before that jump!

He keeps from tripping | Me, Coffee & Jesus

So girls, if your like me and you have big God-sized dreams and it doesn’t feel that you are chasing them fast enough, remember God has a plan and path of growth perfectly designed for you to walk.

If you’re over on the swings and life is feeling pretty up and down and you think the merry go round looks pretty sweet, I promise running in circles can look fun, but it is as hard as pumping your legs on those swings! How about we just promise to nod to one another and say a prayer for strength and endurance for where the other one is.

This week I challenge you to join me in taking a breath and savoring where you are right now. This spot in life has so much to soak in. And don’t forget to say a prayer for the girl across the playground. Even if it looks like she’s having fun and life is perfect, it’s never without its own rocks that end up in your sandal.

Us, Coffee & Jesus Link-Up

Loading InLinkz ...

You can find me linking up at these awesome blogs!

Comments

1. Glad to “hear” you voice back. Glad to see that you’re embracing HIS perspective and granting yourself some grace in learning on the job. We can falter, stumble, disobey, and more but His love covers us. Isn’t that such great news? And from experience I know how hard it can be to want to RUN with the dream esp when you know that you know He’s called you to do a work. But back to his timing right? Praying for you Sis that He continues to confirm and give grace for your contentment in this season.

• winterlawson says:

Praise Him for His love and grace! It’s awesome to know I’m not alone! Thank you for your prayers and so glad you stopped by!!

2. Grabbed your button and linked up! I’ve missed your friendly space. Thanks for sharing your heart today!

3. I’m glad you are writing again! This morning in our adult Sunday School Class we were discussing John 15–the chapter where Jesus says that he is the vine and we are the branches. I was thinking about our country and all of the crazy things happening– realizing that I need to abide in Him.

We have different seasons of life. The season of life that you are in is very demanding, requiring self-sacrifice. It is a season. And in all seasons Jesus calls us to abide in Him, having the focus of obedience and bringing glory to God.

Blessings as you write, share your faith and nurture your family.

• winterlawson says:

I LOVE that parable! You are so right, abide in Him and all will be right(now to always remember it!) Thanks so much for coming by!

4. This is truth right here >> “God has a plan and path of growth perfectly designed for you to walk.” And that is so it – His plan is as individual and unique as each of us. May we pursue Him in the here and now for every moment counts. Blessings as you follow and obey His lead!

5. Hi Winter!

What a name! I’ve got an Autumn Joy (11 years old) and I wanted to name my 8 year old Summer, but my family said they would disinherit me if I strayed from the A’s. LOL! Thanks so much for hosting and for sharing your heart here. Now, I’m off for some coffee & Jesus (time in the word). Have a great day!

• winterlawson says:

I love her name! My mom wanted to name my younger sister Summer but my dad drew the line….so it’s her middle name! Thanks for coming by and be blessed with your Jesus time!

6. Winter, this is such an encouraging post. I needed the reminder that I am not in a rut. I am where God wants me now and this is where I need to keep showing up and doing what He has called me to do. Thank you for sharing your heart with us. Blessings to you!

• winterlawson says:

I’m so glad you felt encouraged! It can be hard to keep showing up and doing the same again, but I know it isn’t without purpose for you! God loves you and has good for you! So blessed to have you here!

7. I know what you mean! When life seems too quotidian, I get grumpy and think I’m stuck. In reality, God is training me do small tasks well so that he can intrust greater things to me :).

8. Winter – I just want you to know that you have been missed as you have been away. I also know the feelings that can go with receiving a NO when you think and believe with your whole heart it will be a YES. I am so glad to have your voice back in the land of blogs – it is a powerful, profound, honest and thoughtful voice. It is also what God has given to you in this season of raising your family and being in His word. I am so glad to have you back and I will be waving and nodding at you from where I am at and saying a prayer for you to be strengthened and full of peace. thanks for hosting and many Blessings to you!

• winterlawson says:

Thank you so much for your encouragement, it overwhelms my heart to hear I’ve been missed-it’s easy to think in the world of blogs you aren’t noticed. I’m waving and praying back at you!! Thank you so much for your encouragement!

9. Love this encouragement today, Winter! Great to have you here again! Blessings on your week!

10. Good to see you back. I know the feeling of needing to break away for a little while. I’m sorry you missed out on the ministry opportunity. Lovely perspective of not tripping over your shoelaces. It can be hard not seeing where God’s leading, but when He gets us there, we’re so glad we didn’t settle for what came before. Thanks for the challenge to soak in this spot in life. ((grace upon grace))

11. Winter, thank you so much for sharing this! I’m on my own merry go round and always tempted to look over at the other girls on bigger, better swings with a crowd around them cheering. Thank you for reminding me of where my focus needs to be.
    I’d love to link back to your blog from my blog. Can you tell me how to do it. I’m new to the link up game!!

• winterlawson says:

If you scroll all the way to the bottom you’ll see a little blue icon, click and on that page enter the info it asks and voila, done! I’m so glad you were reminded of your focus! I’m sending you a nod and prayer from across the playground!

12. Wonderful story! Thank you for reminding me to tie my shoe laces! Thank you for linking up with #JesusandCofffee this week!

13. Thank you for your honesty and openness. And for the encouragement! I’m visiting from threewordwednesday 🙂

14. I love this post for many reasons! We are WAY too easily sidetracked and we constantly need to remember that it is in his time not our time. I remind myself of this on a sticky note I post near my computer (I love sticky notes!) “You don’t need a large scale audience to make a large scale impact!”

15. Oh, Winter! This is great on so many levels! And a message I needed to hear for sure! Today, I’m going to savor where I am! Blessings, liz

16. Hi Winter-I love this! I too sometimes try to get ahead of God’s timing. But I also know God’s plan always works out better than mine. Was sharing with my kids on the way to school to not jump ahead of God’s timing in their lives and was surprised I needed my own (or were they God’s) words just as much! Thanks for the reminder! Great linking up with you!

17. I’ve missed you! Hope all is healed and well!

18. Oh my word! I so get this! In fact, some friends and I just spoke about this image and experience at Bible Study recently! Thank you for the encouragement to enjoy His pace! : ) #FaithFilledFriday

19. A beautiful reminder, Winter. Thank you! God has a plan. I just need to trust! Blessings to you. I’m following you at Holly’s this week!